TOM HERBERT’S PERFECT MINCE PIES
Tom Herbert was a campfire cooking highlight at our festival The Good Life Experience both this year and last. Here’s his recipe for perfect mince pies.
300g plain flour, plus more for dusting
100g icing sugar
3 tbsp cold water
2 egg yolks
1 jar mincemeat
1. Preheat the oven to 220C.
2. Weigh all the ingredients, except the mincemeat, into a bowl.
3. Rub the ingredients together until you have a smooth pastry dough. Shape into a ball and wrap in clingfilm. Chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
4. Take the pastry from the fridge and on a well-floured work surface roll out to 3mm thick. Then cut the pastry into disks a little larger than the pie holes in your baking tray.
5. Fill each pie with mincemeat by spooning it in (not too much or it’ll boil out and over the sides).
6. You can leave your mince pies open or roll out some more pastry and place a round lid on top, or cut out small stars to decorate the top.
7. Then bake in the preheated oven until the edges turn golden (12-14 minutes). Allow to cool a little before eating.
8. Any leftover pastry can be re-wrapped in clingfilm and frozen.