PUMPKIN + CARDAMON TART WITH WALNUT PASTRY RECIPE
A creamy, mildly spiced pumpkin tart with a nutty base that’s equally good for Sunday lunch or an autumnal dinner party. If you prefer a smaller tart, halve the quantities, baking it in a 7-8in(18-20cm) tart tin instead.
INGREDIENTS - Serves 10-12
1 10in/28cm tart tin, lined with walnut pastry and baked (see next recipe)
2lb/900g pumpkin, sliced
5oz/140g caster sugar
10 cardamom pods
9fl oz/250ml crème fraîche
half tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.
- Microwave or steam the pumpkin until tender, then tip it into a blender with 3oz/85g sugar and whizz to a purée. If the purée is not completely smooth, then sieve it, but it may well not be necessary. Allow to cool.
- Bash the cardamom pods in a pestle and mortar, and remove the papery husks. Add a pinch of salt to the seeds and grind them to a powder.
- Mix the eggs, the remaining sugar and the crème fraîche. Stir two thirds of the crème fraîche mixture in with the pumpkin along with the ground cardamom.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the lined tart tin. Spoon the crème fraîche mix over the tart and swirl it with a skewer to marble it.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until just set (it should still jiggle a little in the middle). Allow to cool to room temperature, and serve with cream.
[Recipe by Xanthe Clay, taken from www.telegraph.co.uk]