PICK YOUR OWN FOR A GOOSEBERRY FOOL!
Our gooseberry bushes are overflowing, and they're crying out to be picked! So why not kill two birds with one stone and Pick-Your-Own gooseberries and strawberries at the same time. If you don't have time for the picking part, don't worry, you can pick up a punnet in the Farm Shop. And once your done, here's an easy Gooseberry Fool recipe for you:
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 min to make, plus cooling and chilling
- 400g gooseberries
- 25-50g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp elderflower cordial
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 400ml double cream
- 3 tbsp ready-made vanilla custard
- 50g amaretti biscuits, roughly crushed
- 2 meringue nests, crushed (optional)
- Put the gooseberries and sugar in a pan and cook over a low heat for 10-15 minutes until soft. Remove from the heat, crush and cool.
- Meanwhile, pour the elderflower cordial, lemon juice and double cream into a bowl and whisk to medium peaks. Fold through the custard and amaretti biscuits.
- Fold half the gooseberries into the cream mixture. Spoon half the cream mixture into 4 glasses. Layer the remaining gooseberries, then top with the remaining cream mixture. Scatter with meringue, if using, and chill until ready to serve
The amount of caster sugar you’ll need will depend on the tartness of your gooseberries, and how sweet you like your fool to be.
Recipe taken from Delicious Magazine.